The neurological issue is diseases of the mind, spine, and nerves that interface them. There are in excess of 600 sicknesses of the sensory system, for example, cerebrum tumors, epilepsy, Parkinson’s ailment, and stroke just as less recognizable ones, for example, frontotemporal dementia.
Ayurveda considers issues with Majja Dhatu or Bone Marrow/ Nerve Tissues to cause neurological problems. The human body contains three doshas viz. Vata, Pitta, and Kapha in equilibrium.As per Ayurveda, an imbalance of Vata dosha in the body leads to neurological disorders.
Besides, the Vata dosha complications Pitta and Kapha doshas can also create neurological complications. Ayurvedic treatment for neurological disorders considers all the aspects related to the patient.
On the other hand, the busy lifestyles, wherein people do not have enough time for exercise, unhealthy lifestyles, and pollution are causative for increasing neurological problems including multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s, Stroke, Parkinson’s, etc.
Types of Neurological Disease
There are more than 600 neurologic diseases. Major types include
- Diseases caused by faulty genes, such as Huntington’s disease and muscular dystrophy
- Problems with the way the nervous system develops, such as spina bifida
- Degenerative diseases, where nerve cells are damaged or die, such as Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease
- Diseases of the blood vessels that supply the brain, such as stroke
- Injuries to the spinal cord and brain
- Seizure disorders, such as epilepsy
- Cancer, such as brain tumors
- infections, such as meningitis
Causes for Neurological Disorders
Reasons for neurological disorder will vary. A detailed examination of the body will be necessary for confirming the cause. A few of the common reasons for the neurological disorders are appended below.
- Alcoholism and drugs
- Side effects of medicines
- Head injury
- Hormonal disorder
- Immunity issues
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Guillain-Barre Syndrome
- Hepatitis – C
- Vascular problems
Symptoms of Neurological Disorders
The following are the most common symptoms of neurological disorders. However, the occurrence of any of the below-mentioned symptoms is not conclusive of a neurological disorder. You may consult a doctor for further examination if you observe the symptoms.
- Persistent or sudden onset of a headache – Although there can be different reasons for headache, some kind of headache can be due to neurological disorder.
- Loss of feeling or tingling – The person may find a loss of feeling at some parts or a tingling feeling. On the other hand, some skin problems also may lead to such symptoms.
- Weakness or loss of muscle strength – Weakness or loss of muscle strength can cause the patient to stoop forward. He or she may not be able to stand for a long time.
- Loss of sight or double vision – The issues in the nervous system can affect vision too. The patient may lose sight or can have double vision.
- Memory loss – Loss of memory is an issue due to neurological disorder.
- Impaired mental ability – Issues such as difficulty in identifying persons, unable to recognize persons etcetera can occur due to nervous disorder.
- Lack of coordination – The coordination between body and thoughts may lead to falling, inability in proper movement, difficulty in picking up objects.
- Muscle rigidity – Muscles may turn rigid.
- Tremors and seizures – Tremors and seizures are common in patients with neurological disorders.
- Back pain that spreads to other parts of the body – Due to problems in the vertebral column may lead to back pain that will originate at the backbone and spread to other parts of the body including hands and feet.
- Slurred speech – The patient’s speech will not be clear or legible.
Ayurvedic Management Of Neurological Disorder
Ayurveda the ancient science treats the imbalances of the Dosha Dhatu elements of the body and maintains the harmony of the body and mind. Considering this principle it treats every diseases. Neurological Diseases are described as vitiation of Vata Dosha mainly as it has moving property so along with Vata it can disturb or block other two Doshas results in complicated disease. So considering vitiation of Doshas treatment varies accordingly.
Ayurveda has a combo pack of removing toxins from the body revitalizing tissues by palliative treatment and maintainance of Doshas harmony by proper Diet, Lifestyle, Yoga, and Meditation guidance.