What is Joint Pain?
Joint pain refers to discomfort, aches, and soreness in any of the body’s joints. Joint pain is a common complaint. It doesn’t typically require a hospital visit. Sometimes, joint pain is the result of an illness or injury. Arthritis is also a common cause of joint pain. However, it can also be due to other conditions or factors.
Joints are the parts of your body where your bones meet. Joints allow the bones of your skeleton to move. Joints include:
Causes of Joint Pain
Joint problems can be caused by several issues, however, the main causes are:
Wear and tear. With age, the cartilages lining the bones tend to get worn out leading to reduction in the space between the bones and produces grating when the joint is moved. The bones can also get weak due to several factors like age, lack of exercises, deficiency of Calcium or Vitamin D and after menopause in women. This can also lead to chances of fracture and can cause joint pain and other problems in the joints.
Inflammation is a process, wherein the body secretes several chemicals to breakdown substances that are not functional or are foreign to the body, to disintegrate the unwanted materials and remove them. This is a protective function meant to protect the healthy tissues from invading organisms like bacteria and viruses and from being affected by the damaged tissues. Inflammation may be triggered by damages to the tissue as in the case of injury, or by infection or by a process called auto-immunity. However inflammation that gets out of control can badly damage the tissues leading to impaired functioning. Auto-immunity is one such condition where the immune system mistakes parts of the body for invading organisms and start attacking the body’s own tissues leading to damage to the structures involved.
Damage due to Injury
Injury can cause structural damage to any of the tissues of a joint like the bones, the menisci, tendons and ligaments that can affect the functioning of the joints and lead to diseases.
Symptoms Of Joint Problems
- Pain – Pain may be at the joint or in parts of the body associated with the joint.
- Swelling – Swelling is often a sign of inflammation.
- Stiffness – Stiffness is caused by the body to prevent excessive movement in order to protect the damaged part.
- Limited range of movement – when a muscle or tendon is affected, it is not possible to move the joint through the full range that is normally possible.
- Tenderness – Tenderness is pain on touching the part and is a sign of inflammation.
- Weakness – Weakness of the part of the body associated with the joint is often seen.
- Inability to move the part – When a tendon or muscle is affected, the person is not able to move the affected part. Movement may also be restricted by pain.
- Fever – Joint problems can also be a part of a systemic issue and a disease that not only affects the joint but also other organs in the body.
Treatment Of Joint Problems
The goal of ayurvedic treatment for joint pain and other joint problems is to get rid of the symptoms like pain, tenderness, swelling, redness, stiffness etc associated with the problem, to enable the person to perform the normal activities and to prevent further complications and recurrence.
Treatment For Joint Problems At Ayurveda Bliss
At Ayurveda Bliss, we have developed excellent products that help relieve the problems like, pain, swelling, stiffness and loss of strength associated with Joint problems. They also help in preventing further degeneration with regular use. Patients who have recently developed the problem invariable respond to these medicines and can prevent further episodes through maintenance comprising of exercises and in some cases anti-degenerative medicines. In almost all cases we are able to avoid the need for surgery or powerful drugs which are harmful in the long term.